[TenTec] new Ten Tec mics and Reps at Charlotte Hamfest

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] new Ten Tec mics and Reps at Charlotte Hamfest
From: "Mark DeBord" <markinkpt@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:04:22 -0500
I got the chance to see the new mics at the Charlotte Hamfest this weekend.
Ten Tec was among the manufactuers represented at the Charlotte hamfest
along with Yaesu, Kenwood, MFJ, Ameritron, and Alinco (Icom suprisingly was
absent). Ten Tec's display was fabulous while Stan and Scott answered
everyone's questions. The Orion II's display sure was an attention grabber.
Every time I walked by, their area was always was full of folks spinning
knobs and asking questions.
Along with most of their product line, they also had the new mics on
display. I was really surprised at how well they looked. I was unsure of the
size of the mics from the pictures on Ten Tec's site, but was impressed
after seeing them in person. The gooseneck of the 708 is much longer than
the 705/706. So this should allow us to practice better posture (wink). The
base of the mic is a little larger than the 705/706. The PTT is actually a
momentary flip switch that you flip up to talk, but when let go, it will go
back to the middle postion for receive. If you want to lock the mic down,
just flip the switch downward and it will stay in place until you flip it
back to the middle position. The mic head was larger too, so I am not sure
what kind of element is inside. The 709 was a nice looking mic too and had a
really nice stand! It really will not take up much room on the desk and felt
very sturdy.
Again, it was nice seeing Ten Tec at the hamfest. I have to be honest that I
really felt some pride as I walked by knowing I was using one of the best
radios on the market; probably the same feeling a motorcyclist feels when
he/she is walking down the street and a nice Harley goes by, knowing he/she
has a Harley sitting back at home, ready and waiting to get a chance to go
on that next pleasure ride.

Mark KA4ICK
Kingsport, TN