Re: [TenTec] Problem: Please confirm Orion II RadiosFIX!!!!!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Problem: Please confirm Orion II RadiosFIX!!!!!
From: "Richard Williams" <richardw@mho.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 00:41:59 -0600
Just tried the "battery reset" and master reset.  I assume the battery reset
is accomplished by turning the radio on while holding in the VFOB-LCK button
and seeing the "BATTERY FAILURE" message on the top of the screen.

Though  awhile back someone on the reflector said that message is a
"placebo" and the only sure fire method of doing a battery reset was to take
the battery out and put it back in.  This might be a "second class" rumor
(such as you might pick up while sitting in a stall in a restroom).  Does
anybody know for sure????

Guess what.  Still have the failure and all I have to do is turn on the NB,
NR and notch or (NR, NB and notch) in that order (or a couple of other
sequences).

THE CURE!! (on my radio)

Tis very simple.

1.  turn on NB
2.  turn on Notch
3.  turn on NR

After that have a good time turning the three on and off in any order, and
the problem did not re-occur.   Now don't screw up and try the NR before the
NB.

Hope some of you still having problems try the above sequence.  The radio is
damn near as finicky as the Florida voting machines (and the ARRL with 7O
credits)!!

Also, it is a good idea to make sure all three are off before turning the
radio back on;  radio does not like having all three on when it powers up.
Push the buttons, and  the problem will re-appear.

It is getting late and I don't have time to try and figure out if there are
other combinations that might work (or won't work, for that matter).

If we are in luck, maybe TenTec can come up with a "fix" that doens't cause
two more totally unrelated problems.

Dick K8ZTT

PS  I can think of some parallels in the French airplane I flew;  push
buttons in the wrong order or certain sequences and one or two (maybe more)
computers (would take a dump or lockup).