Re: [TenTec] SDR-1000

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SDR-1000
From: William Evans <w4ish@hughes.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:31:33 -0400

> Anyway, I am curious how many would-be Orion buyers have been put
> off by
> the Orion firmware history.  TT should be curious, too.
>
> 73 Martin AA6E

I have been a member of this and the orion listserve on and off for
four or more years, dreaming of the day when I could afford an ORION.
I am a TT aficionado, having owned TT since the PM1 (PM1, Triton IV,
OMNI D, OMNI D Series C, Corsair, and most recently, the OMNI VI opt.
1 and Herc II amp -- also, lots of kits, accessories, etc).

Even though I have seen the kind of nit-picking and complaints that
occur on this reflector, I have still desired the ORION.  That is,
until recently.  Although the ORION II is the best "bang for the
buck" receiver in the world, the firmware problems are beginning to
tarnish its reputation.  I work with software in many other fields,
and the time span between major upgrades to the firmware seems
excessively long (compared to most responsive companies... there are
some who are much worse than TT, and they, too, have seen other
companies go around them in the race for features, ease of use, etc.)

I believe that TT needs to make some important decisions concerning
their ability/desire to continue with the products in the direction
they are going.  Let's face it, the ORION is not the largest money-
maker for TT, and thus it is not the most important item they
produce.  Do they have the enthusiasm of a company like Flex Radio?
I don't believe so.  Yes, they are dedicated, and yes, they do work
hard to do what they do, but no matter how loyal you may be or hard
you may work, someone else can and will make a better product!

With that said, Let me also ask this:  Why the competition or the
discussions comparing one radio with another?  (Yeah, yeah, I know,
for sales purposes...) I've always discovered that you don't have to
be first to be the best you can be.  And what you do may be only a
niche in the market, but simply do the best you can... If this means
you go out and hire someone who knows more than you do to write and
support the software, then so be it.  But if you are not willing to
do that, then do what you can do, and do it well.  TT lives up to
that part.  They may be weak in the software development and/or
customer communication, but that will take money and those with
different abilities than the wonderful crew at TT.  Instead of
complaining, why not offer to help?  If anyone has a skill in
personal communication (as Hams we should know SOMETHING about
communication!) or software development using the processors in the
ORION and the language in which they are written, then offer your
services to TT.

I will also note that with all that has been said on this reflector,
I am giving serious consideration to other brands of radios... none
have it all together as TT, but they are catching up quickly, and
have surpassed TT in some areas.  Meanwhile, I will save my money a
little longer (I don't yet have enough to purchase an ORION, but I
would have if I had that much! -- some of us occasionally run into
monetary slowdowns such as accidents, lay-offs, economic reversals,
etc.  -- that take priority!) And I read the comments... although I
have little to contribute, nor am I as knowledgeable about
electronics as many of you, I still enjoy Amateur Radio.

73 Bill W4ISH