Re: [TenTec] Orion 1 & 2 "Talk Power" problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 1 & 2 "Talk Power" problem
From: John Buck <kh7t@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:46:25 -1000
It is my opinion that Carl gives this group extremely well thought out advice.
But I think his comment quoted below needs some clarification.

As a KH7 prefix call I sometimes end up on the receiving end of a sizable
pileup.  I guarantee you that I will work clean intelligible signals long
before the heavily processed signals that sound gravelly and have poor
intelligibility.

Some limited processing can increase the usable power without hurting the
signal intelligibility.  Too many people crank the processing knob to the
right, the meter goes up, the intelligibility goes down, and the number of
repeats goes up.  Often room background noise is a major problem as well.

I do agree that the overly processed signals often increase the obnoxious
factor and the high average power may cover up "lesser" signals for a time.
But what good is getting the DX stations attention if he cannot easily copy
your call.  Worse, he may even decide to tune right past that station because
of the obvious lid operator who does not understand how to optimally adjust his
equipment.

Aloha,
John KH7T

Carl Moreschi N4PY wrote

"In a DX pileup, the strong gravelly sound of heavy speech processing is
essential to break a pileup.  Rag chewing vs DX'ing pileups for rare stations
require very different audio setups."