[TenTec] Omni VI agc modification

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI agc modification
From: "Steve Hunt" <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 19:49:10 -0000
Hi folks,

Since I had my Omni VI I've been a bit disappointed with the agc characteristic
- I guess I've become so used to my Corsair's "hang" system! I particularly
like the way the background noise on the Corsair doesn't lift during brief
pauses in speech, and I find it much less "wearing" on the ears :)

I spent this weekend modifying the Omni VI agc into a "hang" system. The
changes are straightforward, can easily be reversed, and the existing front
panel AGC switch functionality is retained.

I'm very pleased with the results. If anything it now out-performs the Corsair
because it remains fundamentally an IF-derived system and so responds more
quickly to the onset of large signals.

I know some folk love "hang agc" and some folk hate it, but if anyone is
interested I have posted full details of the modification at:

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hang_agc/index.html

73,
Steve G3TXQ