Re: [TenTec] Keyer for Triton and C21

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Keyer for Triton and C21
From: w8au@sssnet.com
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 22:36:34 -0500
At 09:52 PM 3/5/2007, Kirk, AI4PZ, wrote:
>I have a Triton 540, and a Century 21 on the way.  I have been practicing
>with a Bencher BY-2.  The Bencher came from a hamfest with a kit-built CMOS
>Super Keyer from Q-Tronix (an Oct 1981 QST article on The CMOS Super Keyer
>came with it).

Regardless of TenTec's instructions, I did bench tests with some C21's
and inserting some resistance in the key lines to see how it affected
the waveshape.  I was able to insert up to 1000 ohms in series and still
keep solid output.  It did soften the keying a little and that was what
I was looking for.   In actuality you are not directly keying an RF stage.
You're keying a Rcve/Xmit switch which then alternates the voltages going
to the TX and RX, so the power out doesn't change.

So, not to worry about some extra impedance in the key line...

Perry   w8au