Re: [TenTec] Any Feedback? INRAD Roofing Filter Mod

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Any Feedback? INRAD Roofing Filter Mod
From: Rick Denney <rick@rickdenney.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:10:42 -0400
k1zn@cox.net writes...

> Anyone have any experience with this mod?  Tnx,  Jeff

Other responses I've read have focused on CW performance, so I'll
mention the SSB-size roofing filter.

I have the INRAD roofing filter kit on my Omni V (it was a kit for an
Omni VI that Rick Williams modified to work on the V). The mod is not
difficult, and it adds another handful of poles of filtration in front
of the first IF, cascaded with the existing filters. Mine is wired to
be engaged with the "NAR" button, and the filter itself is 2800 Hz.
With the 2800Hz roofing filter, the 2400Hz first IF filter, and the
1800Hz SSB filter in the second IF, I can reject strong signals very
close to the passband and still get good fidelity. It's just another
tool in the box for improving selectivity, and seems to be well worth
it for digging through pileups.

Rick, KR9D

---
Richard W. Denney, Jr. PE|Iteris, Inc.              |
Associate Vice President |107 Carpenter Dr. Ste 230 |    703.925.3819
rwd@iteris.com           |Sterling, VA 20164        |Fax 703.471.1757