Re: [TenTec] Titan III at 100% d.c.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan III at 100% d.c.
From: "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 18:29:06 -0600
<<<N.B.  I might be willing to accept a 2 x 3cx800 amp if I wanted to
operate 100% duty cycle mode  at reduced power.

  Why would you need to reduce the power level when you are generating 1500
watts with a set of 1600 watt tubes?  Now, if you buy an economy amp, the power
supply is not going to do 100% duty cycle...  That is not a problem with the
Titan III...

denny / k8do>>>

Please inform Ten Tec of this Denny.  They will be pleased to hear it
since Ten Tec has de-rated Titan III (and the Centurion) for 100% duty
cycle modes.   You might ask them why they have done this.   I for one
would like to know their answer.  I have mine (see below).  If you
will go to this web page

http://radio.tentec.com/Amateur/Amplifiers/TT417

you will see the following specification:
Power Output: 1500 watts continuous in SSB, CW, AMTOR/PACTOR (50% duty
cycle modes). 1000 watts RTTY/SSTV for up to 10 minutes (100% duty
cycle modes).

There are other factors that determine power ouput vis a vis duty
cycle over time, besides the power supply and plate dissipation.
Cooling is a major one.   Notice how quiet your Ten Tec amp is.
There's no free lunch--you pay a price for that in a de-rated high
duty cycle power specification.   It's a trade-off that most hams
probably don't mind.

73,

rob / k5uj