Re: [TenTec] bill orr article

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] bill orr article
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@gti.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:11:02 -0500
Yes, The G5RV is optimized only for 20 meters, where it is a 3/2
wavelength.  The 30 feet of twin lead is a matching section cut for 20
meters.  At the end of the twin lead on all other bands the swr will be
high.  Th secret to the wide bandwidth and low swr on all bands that
some claim is the fact that most G5RV designs specify 70 feet of coax
connected to the twin lead. The resulting high losses in the coax due to
normal loss plus high swr has the effect of smoothing out the swr.

Years ago I used a G5RV rigged as an inverted V (not the best
configuration, but the only way it would fit in the back yard). It
worked OK on 80, 40 and 20, but was terrible on 15 and 10.  On 10
meters, a dipole in the attic out performed it. I took it down when I
discovered that a simple 1/4 wave inverted L was better on 80.

Check out Walt Maxwell's (W2DU) site.  It has a good discussion of the
G5RV vs the merits of a dipole with twin lead, window line, or ladder
line running to the shack.

                                73,

                                Bob WB2VUF