Re: [TenTec] bill orr article

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] bill orr article
From: "DAVID HELLER" <dtx@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:01:40 -0500
I've been using a G5RV as a temporary antenna, not very high and have been
getting out adequately with the barefoot Omni 6;  its real merit is the
ability to work all the HF bands with a single wire.  The tuner is an
absolute must, of course - except for parts of 20 it's far from an
acceptable impedance, though my preference is to have a decent tuner in line
no matter what is overhead.  My impression is it's definitely inferior to
properly-sized  dipoles on 40 and 80, and since I plan to leave it in place
when the 40 and 80 straight wires get back up I'll have a basis for
comparison.   But it's certainly much better than nothing.  I have no
problem busting pileups on CW, but the real weak ones that others seem to
work with no great difficulty just don't seem to hear me - that tells me
everything.  K3TX