[TenTec] Forwarded message

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Forwarded message
From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 18:33:28 -0700
-------- Forwarded Message --------

> > From: snowy.howell@openreach.co.uk
> > To: geraldj@storm.weather.net
> > Cc: snowy.howell@btinternet.com
> > Subject: Ten Tec archives
> > Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:47:28 +0100
> >

> > Good morning Doc from the UK.
> >
> > I have a request for help/advice that I would like to post onto the
> > Ten Tec archives but cant seem to post it.
> >
> > If tell you my tale of woe can you be so kind as to post it for me or
> > advise how I can do it for myself.
> >
> > I have a Corsair 1 that now has some erroneous frequency readings on
> > 10, 17, 21.
> >
> > When I purchased it there were no readings at all (all 'E's), the
> > circuit diagram and component layout pictures in the manual are
> > different to what is fitted to the radio.
> >

> > I purchased at great expense the 'prom' for the counter display, that
> > made no difference.
> >
> > I then replaced all of the 'ic,s' in the counter and it started
> > working on some bands.
> >
> > I subsequently found out from the seller that he had changed all the
> > diodes on the counter board, on checking the circuit diagram some of
> > the diodes look to be the wrong way round, maybe this is what is
> > causing the erroneous readings!!

I have only Corsair II data and there are no diodes on the counter
board, but a gang of diodes could have been used in the Corsair to
convert band data to binary for the processor. Diodes backwards will
upset that logic.

> > My question is 'Has anybody got a digital picture or can take one of
> > the diodes so I can compare their picture to my PCB'.
> >
> > Is the frequency display the same as the Corsair 2, I have 1 of those
> > radios as well that I can refer to.

Apparently not since there are no diodes on the 2's counter board. There
is a single wire band input but I've not been able to trace it. Probably
the BFO, and injection frequency inputs are enough to count the band
correctly.

> > If you please pick out the relevant points and post that for me
> > please.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > 73
> >
> > G0HZE