[TenTec] Argonaut 509 Bias Mod

To: <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut 509 Bias Mod
From: "Byron Tatum" <bjtatum1@att.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 22:41:16 -0500
Hello-
    I installed the bias modification under "Improving SSB Performance of
Argonaut 509". I had problems - the PA current was way too high and could not
be adjusted down.
    Did a lot of checking and found nothing wrong on PA board. The problem was
due to the ground wire that goes from PA board socket to adjacent ground lug.
There is one on each end of socket. The one (at end of board where bias circuit
was at)  had come loose from the chassis solder lug, it was not readily seen
due to wire covering up solder lug. It appeared it was not securely soldered to
begin with. The wire had a hook shape to it, and was centered around lug and
not touching it (??).
    All is well now and the PA bias did adjust correctly after correcting
problem.
    Anyway, just a tidbit of info that may help someone else.
    Speaking of Argo 509 - Does anyone have an AGC revision or update that may
help the "pop" on strong stations?
                                                                        Thanks,
Byron WA5THJ