Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI - Low Power output - Update

To: dennis@ashworth.org, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI - Low Power output - Update
From: Glenn AE0Q <gm5bkc@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 23:44:56 -0700
YES, we see it at Alpha, the amplifier wattmeters have a failed Schottky
diode which then causes a gain fault by the amp protection circuit.  Usual
cause is gross overdrive from radio, or static on antenna.

73 - Glenn AE0Q

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Dennis Ashworth <dennis@ashworth.org> wrote:

> More information on the low power condition discussed below:
>
> I suspect the inaccurate SWR reading on the internal meter is causing
> the drive to be reduced to the driver/finals. The drive reduction
> feedback loop is a protective circuit to keep from damaging the finals
> when improper loads are encountered. I'll bet the inaccurate SWR
> readings (3.:1 into a dummy load) are caused by one or both defective
> Schottky diodes in the SWR directional coupler circuit. Does this sound
> reasonable? Has anyone seen this before? Other things to check?
>
> Dennis, K7FL
>
> ===

"Remember, any tool can be the right tool!"   Red Green

    AE0Q           ex: GM5BKC, ZB2WZ, V31RY, SV0WY, WA0VPK
ae0q@arrl.net    --SOWP 5558-M, ARRL LM, QCWA LM, OOTC, NCVA--
http://www.radiotipsandtales.com