Re: [TenTec] 1253 Receiver kit

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 1253 Receiver kit
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 16:15:50 -0500
Yes, I already have a 1254 and I really like it. It is my bedside
radio.  It likes an outdoor antenna because the display multiplexer
radiates a lot of birdies. I use it with an 80 meter dipole or 40 meter
loop.  I like to listen to the nighttime HF air traffic control or relax
with a little late night CW.  In the morning when I wake up I can flip
it on and get the news from Radio Australia.

  I bought a fake wood (particle board covered with wood grain vinyl)
literature rack at Staples. I replaced the cardboard back and shelves
with Masonite and I have a nice little console. My Scout goes on the
bottom and the 1254 fits on the middle shelf with a small speaker. I
have a relay which switches the antenna over to the Scout when its power
supply is on. A British "WT 8 amp" key completes the setup. It all fits
on a small night table; a complete bedside shack with a general coverage
receiver.

Hey, maybe I should build a second 1254. Wouldn't be cool to have 2, or
3, or 4 stacked or racked and fed with a receiver multicoupler? I think
I'm getting carried away.

                             73,

                             Bob