Re: [TenTec] KPA 500...K9YC

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] KPA 500...K9YC
From: Mike Stricker <info4mjs@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 03:10:00 -0800 (PST)
Jim,
When I can pick up a radio and twist it, I call it cheap.  Yes, even with the
material thickness being what it is on the K-Line, it looks cheap too.  Having
a felt washer as a method for adjusting drag is a joke.

That being said, the big 3 put a lot more into the mechanical aspects of their
amateur radios because they are able to leverage their commercial products'
designs.

You may be enamored with Elecraft but ever since I owned a K2 and "discovering"
the feature of a 5KHz tuning thump when the band is crowded, I gave up on the
Elecraft MoJo...especially when Wayne and Eric know of the problem but haven't
offered a fix.  If I ever designed a piece of hardware with a problem like
that, and told people it was OK, I'd be fired!

Interestingly enough, my research tells me that the K3 on the second hand
market fetches between 70-80% of the new price.  As bad as everything else is
compared to Elecraft, the resale value of lesser radios hangs in there better.

Mike, WA1SEO