[TenTec] intermittent OmniVI rx problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] intermittent OmniVI rx problem
From: Allan Taylor <k7gt.cw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 07:51:28 -0800
My OmniVI/opt3 has a receive problem. It will intermittently drop down
in received signal level by 5 or 6 S-units. This dropout stays for
long periods of time yet is intermittent for sure. There are still
signals coming through, but it drops down enough to clearly hear hiss
from the IF stages. It was doing this over a year ago and got an
all-expenses-paid trip to TT service. Once back there, it, of course,
went away and TT couldn't find anything wrong. Net expense: ~$275.
That rig sat for most of the past year (I was using either the K3 or
MP in the meantime). I finally put it on the air for ARRL DX/CW last
month. It behaved for about 5 hours, then dropped out for a few hours,
then back, then gone and has remained gone.

I suspect an inter-module connector is not quite making contact  or
perhaps the reed T/R relay has failed.
What would a failed T/R relay sound like? Is there a most-likely
connector to check? Is there a best before/after
place to check, stagewise?

I am not an experienced debugger/signal tracer and have limited test
equipment. I love the radio. Please give me your best input!

--
73     Allan    K7GT