[TenTec] Some progress made! --Omni D low to no power

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Some progress made! --Omni D low to no power
From: scottsheppard@videotron.ca
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:36:43 -0500
For those of you who have been helping along with the OMNI D low power issue,
here is the update:

I dragged out the fluke scopemeter tonight and did some checking...the amount
of power going into the Low Level Driver is very low as prev mentioned...on the
scope it was there but not much...when compared to the output of the LLD,
however,  big difference. Lots of gain on the LLD. That was some good news. I
checked the output from the VFO amp and that too looked good (relative)...the
next check was on the output from the SSB board--again lots of output into the
TX Mixer...the output from the TX mixer, however, very low.

...I found the input from the LO into the TX Mixer which looked very good as
well and even the LO going into teh TX Mixer was 150 times more powerful than
the output from the TX mixer...something did not add up...

since I knew my LLD was better than first thought I decided to bypass the
crystal and band pass filters and bring the LO output into the LLD to see what
happened...Bingo...3 watts out of the LLD when sufficiently driven.

Encouraged by that, I hooked up the PA again and put the power to it---80 watts
out before any adjustment. Looks like everything downstream and including  the
LLD is A-OK...thats great news.

Now, it would seem the TX Mixer is the culprit OR it is still not getting
enough input...the relative signals into the mixer look good. One thing that
has me puzzled is why the signal output from the TX Mixer would show continuity
with ground??? yes, 0 ohms...it would sure explain a diminished signal. I note
that the output from the SSB board is also common to ground (tx or receive)
that goes through the crystal filter and eventually to the TX mixer...I looked
for shorts etc, no luck...perhaps a defective component--or more likely a
complex impedance through one of the transformers etc...I got too tired
check>>>nice to end the evening with some progress for a change.

cheers
scott VA3IED