Re: [TenTec] WTB: Older Jupiter

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] WTB: Older Jupiter
From: Darrell Bellerive <drbellerive.va7to@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 22:01:36 -0800
I did wonder if indeed the Omni VII and Eagle represented a big leap in DSP radio technology over the earlier Ten-Tec radios, in particular the Jupiter. I read through a number of Yahoo groups and the Ten-Tec reflector reading the comments of people asking if they should upgrade to the new Omni VII or Eagle from the Jupiter when each of those radios came out. Many asked for opinions from those who were quick to embrace the new radios.

While the new radios were well received, and the advances praised, I did not find any comments that indicated that there was any sort of quantum leap made in the areas that most concern me.

I think that close in dynamic range has improved considerably, but listening to an audio recording of the AGC distortion effects of very short, strong noise impulses on the Omni VII shows that that particular problem of DSP based receivers has not been sufficiently addressed yet by Ten-Tec in the Omni VII.

There is also the Ten-Tec way of doing things. The Jupiter and Omni VII in particular have a similar style to their user interface. They use an ALT key, the menu is presented on screen in a similar way, the multi knob, etc.

So the Jupiter will give me the chance to experience the Ten-Tec way of doing things, and see what quirks the Jupiter has that I don't like. At least then I can ask very specific questions. For example: Is what I am experiencing being caused by my way of setting things or doing things, or is it intrinsic in the radio? Has this issue been resolved in a newer radio? Etc.

If I had a big budget for radio equipment the simplest thing to do would be to purchase a number of radios from different manufacturers, put them side by side, and keep what I like and sell the rest.

But my budget for buying radios is limited to a lower amount, so I have to pick and choose from what I can do. I spend a great deal of time reading the messages and comments from hams who have used these radios and I try to glean out the bits that are most important to me.

Over the years I have created a short list of radios that I expect I will enjoy using. And slowly I have been able to acquire some and have fun with them. Now is the time to try a Jupiter. Perhaps it will send me screaming back to the older analogue gear, but perhaps I will find qualities that intrigue me enough to venture to the newer Ten-Tec rigs.

My Jupiter should arrive next week. I am looking forward to using it.

73, Darrell VA7TO

Darrell Bellerive

On 13-01-15 05:24 AM, Carter wrote:
On 1/14/2013 2:43 PM, Darrell Bellerive wrote:

 > So for me, an old Jupiter is a low cost way to try out a Ten-Tec DSP
 > based radio for a few months or so, and really see what it is like.

I admire you explaining your reasoning to us and it seems to make
sense...except for the following:

You want to buy an old Jupiter to try out a DSP radio. Possibly you are
overlooking the "old" part.

I have not owned either a Jupiter or an Omni VII, but I am sure of one
thing -- time and technology march on. You may be doing yourself a
disservice by comparing an old radio to a new radio. The Jupiter, being
"old" may have flaws that turn you off to DSP; however, the new radio
may well have addressed those issues you might not have liked in the
earlier radio.

In any event, good luck with your decision and let us know the final
outcome.

73,
Carter  K8VT