Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 08:34:27 +0200
In addition to what Bob has just said, another place where a 4:1 balun is
good is in the Off-Center-Fed Dipole.
Most people have learned that the OCFD (sometimes called Windom) has a
feedpoint impedance of 300 Ohms.
This is wrong.

The feedpoint impedance of the antenna will vary from band to band and
especially by height, but we have to choose to feed it with what is commonly
available.  A 6:1 balun will match 50 Ohms to 300 Ohms, and a 4:1 balun
matches it to 200 Ohms.

According to Buck, who has probably sold more Windom/ODFD antennas than all
other manufacturers combined, the Windom will have about 235 Ohms in typical
installations (under 50 feet of height), and only above 70 ft. does it rise
to about 280 Ohms.  It never hits 300 Ohms.  AND of course local obstacles
will influence these values.

But Buck only used one feedpoint, roughly 1/3 - 2/3 split.
In other words, he feeds it 1/3 of the way in from one of the ends.
There is no rule mandating you choose this point.
I have been experimenting with many other split ratios - that's why I have
built 12 of these antennas in the past 2 years.
Moving the feedpoint also changes the optimum "best impedance".
Computers are great for modeling this.

So in general, an OCFD should be fed with a 4:1 Current Balun, with the two
transformers of the balun each on separate cores. So you always need a balun
with two toroids inside.  If you run high power, you will need 4 cores (1
per transformer).  If you don't do that, you will get common mode current
problems.  Unfortunately under certain circumstances, one very good US
manufacturer of baluns is recommending using a balun with both transformers
on the same stacked core if you have these heating problems.  The real
solution is to use 4 cores.  I'm sure the guy know very well what he is
doing, but nobody would buy it if it was twice as big and cost 50% more.

The problem with 4:1 baluns (and 6:1 baluns) is, although they will continue
to transform at their design ratio, their ability to "BALUN" (impede CMC)
goes to hates in a hand basket when the SWR is high.  The 1:1 balun
continues to perform its duties, despite higher SWR.  You just have to be
sure the ferrite is hefty enough to withstand the heat.

For this reason, we are now seeing ODFD antennas being fed with a 4:1 balun
AND a 1:1 choke attached directly to the balun to suppress the CMC.

73
Rick, DJ0IP