[TenTec] Centurion Problem

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Centurion Problem
From: Michael Marx <sndtubes@vacuumtubes.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 11:47:08 -0600
Hi Guys,

I have a Centurion that experienced some kind of arcing event which resulted in
one of the traces on the Filter/Rectifier board that connects to the secondary
of the transformer to actually vaporize.   I bridged the trace, replaced the
capacitors and checked the diodes.  After repairing / rebuilding the board, I
reinstalled it and now have normal B plus.  HOWEVER, I have 200 mA of standby
plate current.  This suggests the bias transistor is blown and I have had this
problem in the past.  Unfortunately, I replaced the bias transistor and still
have 200 mA of standby plate current.  My question is:  Do any of you have an
any idea of what to check besides the bias transistor.  Or, is there some
common cause for the transistor to fail?  I bought 5 of them from Mouser and
hesitate to keep replacing them until I know what is causing the failure.  The
transistors I bought are IDENTICAL to the transistor I bought from Ten Tec the
last time it failed.

thanks
73
Mike WB0SND