[TenTec] 509 schematic - audio filter

To: ten tec list <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 509 schematic - audio filter
From: Brian <brianpepperdine@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 15:59:27 +0000
Good that you have the Autek on hand.
Not to stir the pot, but I can recommend the Mi Per Mite filter from 4 States
QRP. I think it is VERY good. I built one and find it extremely useful on older
rigs lacking a CW filter or with a so-so  CW filter. For instance, the CW
filter on my Drake TR7 is not good.. either old or not to my spec..who knows?
Anyhow, the HiPerMite makes it useful. I have used it on my fave TR4Cw even
though it already has a xtal filter which is fine. HPM filter makes it all
better. Similarly for older boatanchor receivers... at the minimum having the
HPM in line makes it easier on those old mechanical switches on the BAs by not
having to use them.

Anyhow, the HPM is only one of the great audio filters out there, but it is
great and not expensive. Also good and worth consideration are the NESCaf
filter from New England QRP (when the kit is available from the volunteers),
the CALF audio filter, and filters from SOTA Kits.
But you cannot go wrong with the HPM... not a lot of money and it does the job.
A recent posting on the HPM is in Bill Meara's SolderSmoke daily blog.
http://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/2020/02/ph2lbs-homebrew-hi-per-mite-cw-filter.html

My Triton 544 has the MFJ CWF in it.. basically the same as the TT audio filter
you were seeking.

Brian VE3VAW