TopBand: DX window

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: DX window
From: nx1g@top.monad.net (Craig Clark)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 08:26:05 -0600
>Let's change it by either:
>1)getting rid of it
>2)redefining its terms so no one can argue about whether they belong in it
or not.

>I would prefer number 2, as it would make the contests more fun.
>
>Rob K2WI

Dear friends,

Last time I refused to get into this and 8JI chided me for my reticence. I
can't hold back this time though.

re #2. several years ago, in the CQ 160 test, I was harrased for quite a
while by another op when I was calling cq on 1842. He kept saying QSY out of
DX window. I tried to tell him I wasn't in the window. He didn't let up.
Don't think #2 solves the pblm. Not everyone understands.

Next thing folk's who are "hearing impared" will want is a buffer btwn the
dx window...say a few extra kc on either side.

Windows were great when we all ran low power, did not have modern xcvrs and
receive antennas. Today, even tho there are "windows" in the contests, a
good portion of the dx stations will call outside of those frequencies
"reserved" for them. Additionally, for windows to work, you HAVE TO QRX OUT
OF THE WINDOW. It doesn't happen. The new generation of DX'ers on 160 do not
remember what it was like in the days of LORAN A, limited power and fixed
band segments. Most can't or don't want to work split either. Why, I don't know.

I promise you, next weekend in the ARRL test, which is really a 160
Sweepstakes (READ DOMESTIC CONTEST) there will be some DX. Most of it will
answer CQ's. I'll be out of the 1830-35 window, calling CQ somewhere. Based
upon my many years of contesting in this contest, 99% of the DX I work will
call me!

73 all

Craig W1JCC
ex-NX1G Hu-rah!
                        Craig Clark
                Hu-rah!         now      W1JCC
        send me e-mail and I'll put you on our mailing list
                        Radio Bookstore
        Books for Amateur Radio, SWL and CB Radio Operators
                        (603) 899 6957
                        (603) 899 6826 fax
                        PO Box 209
                        Rindge, NH 03461