TopBand: W4YV & SP5EWY - Half Slopers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: W4YV & SP5EWY - Half Slopers
From: prforbes@tbsa.com.au (Peter Forbes)
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 21:25:46 +1100
Dear Readers,

I have a similar setup to that of SP5EWY, but minus the extra 30mx piece of
wire. The tower is 16mx high with a A3WS and a 204BA on top (plus a 146mhz
collinear vertical).

I run three 1/4 slopers off the tower from the 15mx mark in three
directions.  The slopers can be tuned for 80mx (natural length) or have
inductance and extra wire at around the 1/3 length mark from the end added
for 160mx, with good SWR results.

I also shunt feed the tower with an omega match and usually leave the
configuration as: shunt feed on 160mx and slopers on 80mx.

I HAVE ALWAYS FOUND THAT THE SECRET TO SUCCESS IS AS FOLLOWS:

(1) Each unused sloper is left floating from the tower by relays - I have
tried grounding the unused slopers but find more reliable results when floating

(2) ALL cables etc. come down INSIDE the tower right to ground level - so
what you see on 80mx is one tower with top loading, one sloper off the tower
and two other wires floating. On 160mx you see one tower with top loading,
three slopers floating and a shunt fed, omega matched feed up to the 15mx mark.

NO pieces of rotator cable, odd lengths of coax etc., leaving the tower half
way up the tower and off to the shack.  All cables are run in 90mm conduit
underground back to the shack.

There are a few radials in the ground of indiscriminate length to establish
a suitable earth reference point.

The system works well, and more importantly, remains with the same tuning
regardless of weather, wet or dry, windy or calm.

For those having trouble with 1/4 slopers, remember you have several variables:

(1) length (usually slightly longer than 1/4 wavelength)
(2) angle of slope (usually about 45 degrees)
(3) height of attachment (the higher the better up to about 3/16 wavelength)
(4) what area of metal above the feed point (the more the better)
(5) height of end above ground and clear from obstacles (preferably clear
from metal)
(6) minimising the points I have alluded to above.

ONE INTERESTING THING TO DO IF YOU HAVE GENERAL COVERAGE TRANSMIT, IS TO DO
A SWR/FREQUENCY PLOT FROM 1.5 to 20Mhz ON EACH SLOPER.  YOU SHOULD BE ABLE
TO SEE RESONANCES FOR 1/4, 3/4, 5/4 WAVELENGTH PLUS OTHER RESONANCES OF THE
COAXIAL CABLE UP THE TOWER TO THE FEED POINT.  A GOOD LOOK AT THE SWR PLOT
WILL OFTEN GIVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT IS HAPPENING IN YOUR PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Cheers

Peter   VK3QI