Topband: XZ0A LP Opening

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: XZ0A LP Opening
From: btippett@alum.MIT.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 13:04:00 +0000
        Good opening to W4 today!  I first started hearing him
around 1200 and he was stronger than yesterday.  He was always
from 210 degrees here until around my sunrise (1227) when the
signal shifted West.  This is fairly usual for this path based
on my experience on 80.

        I think we were helped by a K-index of 4 at 1200 UTC.
If you want to see what MAY be the source of refraction/reflection
on this path, check out the following Webpage:

                http://sec.noaa.gov/pmap/gif/pmapS.gif

It remains to be seen if the LP correlation to disturbed geomagnetic
conditions holds, but so far it looks fairly good.  One thing I can
say is that the extended period of very quiet geomagnetic conditions
from when they started (14 Jan) until 20 January were terrible for
this path.

        Looking at the following chart, the next extended period
of disturbed conditions will be Jan 27-Feb 3 assuming the 27.5 day
cycle.  Of course we could get an unexpected disturbance at any time.

                http://www.dxlc.com/solar/

        For those in Europe who may be wondering about the geographical
equivalent of this path, I believe it is roughly the same as someone in
Germany working ZK2 in the direction of VP8 about 30 minutes before your
sunrise.  I know it is difficult to visualize long paths from another
part of the world but maybe this helps.

        Good luck to all!  I think we will have several more good
openings before they leave on 6 February...and the REALLY good news
is that they seem to be hearing very well now!  Beverages in the right
directions do work!

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV