Topband: Down Under Diary 3/7/00

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Down Under Diary 3/7/00
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 07:39:10 +0800
Excellent propagation this morning into Europe and Africa, but little luck.

On the band at around 2200Z after a phone call from Mike VK6HD alerted me
to the presence of FR/F6KDF/T.  The FR/T was peaking 57/89, but with heavy
QSB on 1823.5, listening 1 up or so.  Tuning around on the FR/T's listening
frequency revealed 6W/DK8YY at RST549 giving his call, either at the end of
a CQ or calling the FR/T!

The 6W disappeared as quickly as he appeared and the FR/T was called until
2234Z, when the station went abruptly QRT, after working a number of
Europeans.  Unfortunately, there was still another 30 minutes to until VK6
sunrise, when signals often peak from that direction.

FR/F6KDF/T seemed to be hearing well into central and southern Europe,
predominantly working stations in this area, along with a few
Scandianvians.  Some of the European stations were around S6 with me, but
mainly around S4 - S5.  Many well-known 160m DXers from other parts of
Europe called without success.

As a finishing touch, Ralph 5H3RK was heard calling CQ on 1.82845,
listening 1 up.  I heard a couple of stations call him without success.

My impression is that although propagation was good, QRN levels were high
at the African end.  Let us hope for good propagation and low noise tomorrow.

It is unfortunate that FR/F6KDF/T and 6W/DK8YY are apparently using Rx and
Tx frequencies that are so close to each other.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ