Topband: RF resistance of wire

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RF resistance of wire
From: nhp@ieee.org (Nick Hall-Patch)
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 21:52:01 -0700
At 01:32 AM 8/1/01 -0400, David K3KY
wrote:

>No doubt there is nothing to be gained at 1.8MHz with Litz
>wire inductors or antennas. It is hard to beat plain old round
>solid wire at such high frequencies.  :o)

Some years ago, I was winding iron core toroids for the tuned front end of
a homebrew medium wave receiver, and found that magnet wire gave a better Q
in the .5 to 1.6 MHz range than any Litz wire I could obtain.

However, many of the ferrite loop antennas in consumer AM radios
were/are(?) wound with Litz.  I wonder if that design approach is just
received wisdom?  It seems odd given that Litz is more expensive than
magnet wire.

73,

Nick

VE7DXR