Topband: DX Window (fwd)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DX Window (fwd)
From: tree@kkn.net (Tree N6TR)
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:38:29 -0700 (PDT)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:28:12 -0400
From: Tom Rauch <w8ji@akorn.net>
To: k6se@juno.com, topband@contesting.com, Jon Zaimes AA1K <jon.zaimes@dol.net>
Subject: DX Window
To: <topband@contesting.com>

> I respectfully disagree. Other than the two contests that specify it,
> I don't think there's ever been general acceptance of this as a DX
> window. The old ARRL band plan called for a DX window of 1830-1850,
> and there was nothing in it about not calling CQ in this window. If no
> one called CQ DX, how would anyone make any contacts?

The DX Window, in the 60's and 70's, was initially for listening-only
for any non-North America station. It was 1825 to 1830 kHz, with
exceptions for ZL's, JA's and other stations who could not transmit
on the lower end of the band because of LORAN.

Sometime in the 80's (for reasons many who were on the band a
long time were never sure of) the DX Window moved to 1830-1850
kHz and allowed CQ's, ragchews, and everything else as long as
the QSO or attempted QSO was intercontinental. There was never
a suggestion that USA stations NOT call CQ or ragchew with DX,
except during some contests.

Since we now mostly operate simplex DX and since the ARRL no
longer suggests a DX Window (although the IARU still suggests
one), it is very important we make sure we give honest signal
quality reports and share information with each other about
transmitter quality.

To see how bad transmitters are getting, look at the TS2000
reviews in ARRL and RSGB publications for SSB (IMD about 25 dB
down below PEP...which is around -20dB using commercial
standards) and look at www.w8ji.com under "clicks" for FT1000-
family measurements. We actively need to push ALL
manufacturers into showing some concern for bandwidth as we mix
weak signals and strong signals.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com