Topband: BC spurs

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: BC spurs
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 22:18:26 -0500
There are two distinct BC spurs on 1818 or so now.

One is a "spitting" only on modulation peaks, it is very wide, and
centers on 1817 or so. I've tracked that down to WABB in Mobile
Alabama so I have that one and have just turned it in (along with
three Airport NDB's and one other BC station).

The second is a buzzy spanish-speaking station around 1819 with
faint audio detected by slope detecting on AM or using a narrow
band FM detector. I can NOT get enough audio from that to get an
audio match to any BC station I can hear. The bearing of that
station is about 300 degrees from my QTH near Macon GA.
W6TER and K4RX hear that mess also.

If anyone hearing the 1819 buzzy spur (that comes from almost
due west of me) can get the call letters or an exact audio match to
an AM station please let me know. If we don't keep after this stuff,
the band will become an unusable mess.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com