Topband: XU7ACB

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: XU7ACB
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 21:35:02 +0000
WC7N wrote:
>Congratulation to all that worked him on Top Band under anything but ideal
conditions.

        Rod, I believe the congratulations go to Dick!  Thanks to the
spots by 9V1PC and others, we know that Dick was there faithfully day
after day at both his sunrise and sunset times.  Unfortunately the good
openings were few but we have to give him credit for spending a LOT
of time sending CQ's on 160 with no takers.  Compare his single-person
expediton to the E29AL operation, from the same area of the world (<400
miles or 600 km SW from Dick's location on the southern coast of Cambodia)
with multiple operators...they were never on at the right time for the
USA and must have been using a wet noodle antenna because I could not
hear them on 80 when they should have been pounding in based on JT1CO's
long path signal at the same time.

        Let's hope the next E29AL operation from Tarutao Island will
include some folks who are knowledgeable about low band antennas and
propagation.  As is true in many areas of life, Dick demonstrated the
difference that a single knowledgeable person can make.

        CONGRATULATIONS DICK!!!!!!!!!!

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  Phuket is a beautiful resort on the extreme southern peninsula of
Thailand and would make for a similar operation as XZ0A...you could even
take your XYL's!  Any takers?