Topband: Fairly Good Topband Propagation Condx

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Fairly Good Topband Propagation Condx
From: kn4lf@hotmail.com (KN4LF, Thomas Giella)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:26:21 -0500
  Our period of fairly good high latitude propagation path conditions on 160
meters during the past week has been due to approximately 7 days with a low
background X-Ray flux level in the C range, including virtually no solar
flares above the C3 level and a proton flux level of 10o-1 (under 10 MeV)
for 7 plus days. The fly in the ointment preventing really good propagation
conditions? continued high solar flux levels above 200. The Kp index has
repeatedly been at a 3-4 level during the period, demonstrating once again a
lack of consistent correlation with 160 meter propagation conditions. The
above mentioned info can be found at: http://www.maj.com/sun/noaa.html .
  Unfortunately though sunspot group #9742 is growing rapidly and already
capable of M5 class or higher solar flares and soon will be capable of X1 or
higher solar flares. High latitude propagation paths degrade dramatically
with earth directed solar flares M5 and above. So unfortunately we are close
to very poor high latitude path propagation again.

73 And Merry X-mas,
Thomas Giella, KN4LF

Plant City, FL
Grid Square- EL88wx
CQ Zone 5
ITU Zone 8

Email: kn4lf@hotmail.com

KN4LF 160 Meter Amateur Radio Resources And More:
http://www.kn4lf.com

KN4LF 7 Day Medium Wave Radio Propagation Outlook:
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf5.htm

Florida Meteorological & Climatic Institute:
http://64.176.157.9/sub/fmci.htm

Giella Website Designs:
http://www.giellawoodsignandwebsitedesigns.com

---