Topband: One way propogation or QRM?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: One way propogation or QRM?
From: nhp@ieee.org (Nick Hall-Patch)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:20:44 -0800
At 01:40 PM 1/27/02 EST, you wrote:

>there have been discussions on this reflector about an enhanced path about 1
>1/2
>hours before sunrise. lots of guys have sensed this but there is no firm
>resolution
>(i think). the gray area before sunrise has been proven to be an enhanced
>tx/rx
>period on 160 meters. as an example- i worked more japan stations during the
>1/2 hour before my sunrise than the previous 4 hours. i just could not hear
>them
>before then. 9m2ax and bv3 were also heard then. i suspect that if you would
>have
>called me at that time we would have worked. i find that 12 minutes before
>sunrise
>to be the peak-peak. (this should get some comments!)
>
>you are probably aware of all of this but here is my suggestion. locate the
>stations
>who you want to work on a map or some program available on the internet.
try <
>map
>quest.com> for the US. note their city and then check it against a
dark/light
>program.
>

>for others reading this email-how many minutes before sunrise is the
>"peak-peak"?

Larry and the group,

QEX published an article in July-August 2001 on MF pre-sunrise enhancements
which concentrated on the reception of a medium wave broadcaster from South
Korea over a period of 2 1/2 years (I have to admit to having written it).
The findings were that here in Victoria for one that one broadcaster was
that signals tended to peak 5 to 50 minutes before local sunrise; somewhat
closer to sunrise in the winter and towards solar minimum.   The automated
logging of signal strength data from this and from an Australian
broadcaster also in the 1.5 MHz range has been ongoing, and is now
approaching the 4 1/2 year mark.  If anyone is interested in the findings,
I'm happy to share them, but generally they agree with the above suggestion
for the "peak peak".

best wishes,

Nick

VE7DXR