Topband: 10 rules for pileup success on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 10 rules for pileup success on 160
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 17:15:39 +0000
        It may be timely to repeat a post I made here 5 years ago.
I especially caution all about #3 below: "Continuously calling only
slows down the whole process and reduces YOUR probability of a QSO.  It
might also encourage some DX operators to make a mental note in their
head to never "hear" you again!"...i.e. blacklist you or work but not
log you.

http://lists.contesting.com/_topband/1997-February/010554.html

        Rather than complain about the pileup behavior, let me share a
few tips for working a pileup on Topband for those who think continuous
calling is the way to do it (sadly, some are suggesting to me that newer
ops think this is the right way!)

        Rule # 1:  When the DX answers, LISTEN, do not call.  Instead
try to find where HE is listening.  Most good operators spread the
pileup over at least 1-2 kHz.  If you listen for the station he is
working, you will maximize your probability of being heard since you
will know where he is listening.  You may also begin to recognize
the pattern the operator uses...e.g. is he slowly moving up in frequency,
down in frequency or alternating picks to either side of the pileup.  You
will also know when to transmit (i.e. when HE is listening).  It's very
hard for him to hear you calling while he is transmitting!  :-)

        Rule # 2:  LISTEN!  He may change his QSX frequency or QSY.  If
you're calling continuously, you will never know it.  I can't tell you all
the good stuff I've worked easily because I was one of the first on a new
QSX frequency.  If you're transmitting continuously, you'll be one of the
last to know.  For those of you with QSK, you have an advantage here.  If
you don't, use a footswitch so that you can listen between calls and
stop sending when he starts.

        Rule # 3:  Do not transmit on the station answering.  Why?  Because
a good operator will stay with that station until he finishes the QSO and
repeats casued by QRM just reduces the amount of time YOU have to work him
before propagation goes out.  The name of the game is for the DX to work as
many stations as quickly as possible.  Continuously calling only slows down
the whole process and reduces YOUR probability of a QSO.  It might also
encourage some DX operators to make a mental note in their head to never
"hear" you again!

        Rule # 4:  Learn your equipment so you know how to EXACTLY place
your transmit signal (no, not zero beat on the last listening frequency where
all the other idiots are!)  Offset by a few hundred Hz based on which
way you think the DX is tuning (see Rule # 1 above).  Also PLEASE learn
to use your equipment so you don't transmit on the DX frequency.

        Rule # 5:  If you have limited resources on 160, focus on your
receive capability.  You will work far more 160 DX with good ears than with
a big mouth (i.e. an alligator).

        Rules # 6-10:  listen...Listen...LISTEN!

        For those of you that still call continuously, I wish you luck.
You'll probably still be there long after he's in my log because I am
maximizing my chances and you are minimizing yours!

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  My apologies to all of the GOOD operators on this list for wasting
your time.  OD5/OK1MU last night was a perfect example of #2 above.
Pavel was on 1838 listening up 1-2 but occasionally he would send "QSX
37" and those who were LISTENING were rewarded with an easy QSO because
of no pileup on that frequency.

P.P.S.  The reflector may be very slow after the ARRL DX Contest begins.
I will be on 10 meters and will only approve posts after 10 closes here
after 0300 UTC and before it opens again before 1100 UTC.  Posts made
while 10 is open may be delayed but I will eventually get to them.
Good luck to all in the contest!