Topband: 160 mobile DX

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 mobile DX
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 23:46:49 +0100
XYL AB1P gave me a 160-6m screwdriver antenna (KJ7U type) for my birthday,
which I finished installing on Friday on my 2000 VW Jetta diesel.

While motoring to a hamfest in Maryland early Saturday morning, I heard
W8JI working VK3ZL, and was able to copy Bob VK3ZL peaking 579! We drove
into a noisier area and I briefly lost Bob, so gave Tom a call and
exchanged reports (my No. 1 for 160m mobile -- thanks Tom!). Then tried
calling Bob and was quite surprised to have him come right back, with a 449
report! This was at 0958z, about 45 minutes before our sunrise.

Didn't hear any other activity on the band this morning, but nice to have
such good conditions on our first attempt with a new antenna.

73/Jon AA1K
Delaware