Topband: Collins R390 and 75A4 on 160m

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Collins R390 and 75A4 on 160m
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 12:07:52 +0800
G'day all,

I have a 1955-vintage Collins R390 here and am curious about whether anyone
on the reflector has done any comparisons on 160m with the 75A4 - or what
anyone who has a R390 thinks of its performance on 160m.

My R390 is in original unmodified condition and I am not a vintage
collector (i.e. am not concerned about modifying it), so am also wondering
if there is anything I can do do improve its 160m performance.

My other idea is that I might be better leaving the R390 'as is' and trying
to find an AM SWL-type of person who is more interested in this type of
radio, trading/selling it, and then looking for a 75A4 instead.  Looking at
the R390 circuitry it seems an pretty amazing receiver - probably more
sophisticated/complex than the 75A4 in its design.

What lays behind this is am putting together a 1950s type amateur station
for 160m.  For the tx I have a Panda Cub transmitter from the UK, with an
807 PA.  This is a commercial unit, made entirely from world war 2 surplus
parts.  This weekend, I'm building a pine console/radio shelf to house the
equipment - great fun!

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ