Topband: Electric Fence QRM

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Electric Fence QRM
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 11:06:12 -0500
At 10:13 PM 11/30/02 -0500, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
>I used the MFJ RFI "sniffer" to locate my source of electric fence RFI.
>Bill K4XS

A neat simple superhet operating in the aircraft band.  I borrowed one
briefly from KA9FOX, and it appeared to me that it would be easy to feed
the receiver with a small yagi or Moxon rectangle to make a directional
sniffer that would be even more useful.

My solution to the problem is an ICOM IC-Q7A.  This little dual-band
handitalkie cost under $100 at Dayton last year, and has AM receive from
100-330 MHz, plus 144/440 MHz low-power transmit.  It works great for
finding noise sources, even without the directional antenna, which I intend
to add this winter.  My body makes an excellent shield at these frequencies.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower