Topband: Line noise filters for Topband

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Line noise filters for Topband
From: n0tt1@juno.com (n0tt1@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 03:25:05 +0000
Thanks to all who responded to my question.  To summarize...and
without changing anything on the power connections...
it would be best to just install a good filter for the shack's power.
BTW, that's covered in ON4UN's book.

So, what variety of AC "mains" filters are recommended for use on
Topband?
TopBander NR1R said he used a pair of Radio Shacks filters (#61-2215)
with good results, but I don't know if that unit has enough "ampacity"
for
my station when I'm running the legal limit....I doubt it.  Another
suggestion
was an appliance RFI filter at Lowe's, connecting several in series for
greater reduction of common mode RFI.

I'm inclined to "roll  my own", using all the right stuff, such as
AC-rated
capacitors, properly grounded metal box, #12 wire for the conductors,
etc.
But what have you guys done?

73!
Charlie, N0TT