Fw: Topband: Inverted L for TX

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: Topband: Inverted L for TX
From: kimba at sprint.ca (Bert Barry)
Date: Sat Mar 29 11:13:26 2003
Jerry T. Dowell wrote:

 > Your trouble may be that the MFJ259 usually will give erroneous readings on
 >160M because of BC station pickup on the antenna. That meter is not useable
 >at my QTH on any 160M antenna.

I have had this problem with ALL soldid state instruments used on my 160m
antenna.
There is a brute-force solution - use a GR-1606 bridge.  These are available at
some flea markets.

I got one at Dayton last year, and while it requires a separate oscillator and
detector, it works beautifully, even in the presence of strong daytime BC
interference. I use an HP sig. gen. for the source, and an old transceiver as a
detector.

The size and weight of the three pieces of equipment can be a problem.  I have
made up a portable test bench on a wheelbarrow to lug the stuff to the base of
the antenna where I make the adjustments.

Bert, VE3QAA