Topband: ft1000 mp vs omni 6+

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ft1000 mp vs omni 6+
From: n7jw at infowest.com (James Wilson)
Date: Tue Jul 15 06:37:26 2003
Just a few comments regarding mp vs the omni 6+.  I own 2 ft1000 mp's
with
All the mods, and 5 omni 6+'s.  K7CA and I use omni's for our remote
site
and our home stations,the remote omni's are cloned by the omnis at the
home
stations.  The ft1000 mp has a good receiver, but not as good as the
omni 6+.
During the 160 cw contests we hear phantom cw signals on the ft1000 mp,
While the omni 6+ is clean.  The difference is the omni can hear the
weak EU
Stations while the ft1000mp is garbled by phantom spurious signal that
appear
To be cw but make no sense. On a empty band with no QRM there is no
Difference between the ft1000mp and the omni on weak signals, when using
a  efficient  antenna with good gain.  The omni does fall down when
using a
beverage, a preamp is needed. Also on all 5 of my omni's the noise
reduction
works great on cw, really peaks up the signal, much better than mp NR.
It appears to me that the omni 6+ that Earl used may have a problem.
Both
K7CA and I have used both rx's over the past 5 years during contests and
DXing
Our conclusion is that the omni 6+ is the best 160 rx.( haven't tried
the orion)

Jim Wilson  N7JW