Re: Topband: Phased Pennants: Staggered?

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>, <jmaass@columbus.rr.com>,<k4ie@hotmail.com>, "Earl W Cunningham" <k6se@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Phased Pennants: Staggered?
From: <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:46:21 -0500
Right on, Tom.

Nearly repeating what Tom posted, beverages, pennants, et al are all about
**NOT** HEARING WHAT YOU **DON'T** WANT TO HEAR.

That means you need to know WHERE what you DON'T want to hear COMES FROM.

Listening to QRN on the band, I have been fascinated with the lightning strike
web page, which shows me where the QRN is coming from.

>From the location I can also infer angle.

When you model the combination antennas, use the 3D presentation and make sure
you have your nulls aimed at the common sources of noise. That's **BOTH**
azimuth and elevation you have to worry about.

At my location, listening to Europe, one tends to think of 45 degrees as the
proper angle for the gain, when in fact, 180 high angle is the best direction
for the null. For a single pennant 45/225 is NOT the best orientation for the
antenna at my QTH.

By the time the winter season starts to sneak up on us, the nastiest QRN is
centered due south from NC, and only 500 miles away, in the Carribean.

So I need to plan the NULLS for Florida first. Then the Southwest. THEN make
sure the gain is pointed somewhere up north, more or less.

Think Signal-to-noise. You might be able to increase gain by 3 db and make a
null 3 db deeper, that's a 6 db improvement IF the null is aimed at the noise.

Or you might LOSE 2 db gain, and put 15 db MORE null toward an important noise
source. That's a 13 db improvement. On 160 there's plenty of signal to drive
lossy directive antennas. Design and aim the nulls first not the forward gain.

Sometimes I think hams have been completely hypnotized by forward gain and SWR.

73, Guy.