Re: Topband: Topband Radios

To: "'Chortek, Robert L'" <robert.chortek@berliner.com>,topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband Radios
From: Ve6wz_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:40:12 -0700
Rob:

Don't sell your '1000D'

> can anyone tell me what
> radio they would recommend or purchase to replace a Yaesu
> FT1000D if the only consideration was receiver performance
> (in an urban environment) on 160 and 80?

I live in a city of 1 million on a small city lot.
I have used the Yaesu 1000d, Icom IC-756 PROII, and Yaesu FT-1000mp Mkv.
The clear winner for me is the FT-1000D. (I have had 3 of them...lost to
lightning)
The main reason is the APF of the 1000d. Neither the Icom or Mkv come
close for weak signal CW DX copy.
I have the Mkv beside the 1000d, and the power switch is rarely turned
on. (it is a great radio for ssb though)

I don't want to "hi-jack" your thread, but has anyone found a way to get
the Mkv APF to be actually effective ??
I purchased the Mkv to replace the Icom hoping to get and effective APF,
but have been disappointed.

I have not tried any other radios....maybe the Orion, or $10k Yeasu/Icom
radios are good?

73, de steve ve6wz.