Topband: Experiences with mobile transceivers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Experiences with mobile transceivers
From: "Michael St. Angelo" <mstangelo@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 23:53:42 -0500
I'm looking to buy a small transceiver, which will be used primarily for
portable operation, but I will be using it for 160 CW during the winter
months.

Since I listen to utility and sw broadcast stations I reluctantly had to
rule out the Elecraft K2.

I've narrowed the choices down to the Kenwood TS-480, Icom IC-706MkiiG,
IC-7000 and the Yaesu FT-897.

I checked the receiver dynamic range and third order intercept in the ARRL
product reviews.  The rigs have poor specs for close in 5k frequency
separation but the TS-480 has the best numbers for wide 20k spacing. I
haven't seen any test results for the IC-7000 and all of he reviews I've
seen so far are subjective; people either love or hate the radio! I'm
leaning towards the TS-480HX since the receiver has a good reputation for a
portable rig and the 200 watts will help me on 160 meters.

Would any topbanders have any experiences or recommendations on the 480 or
any other rigs?

By the way, my antenna is an inverted L about 65 feet high with 16 radials

Thanks in Advance,

Mike N2MS