Topband: 160mtr loop for receive only

To: "Topband 160" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160mtr loop for receive only
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:14:41 -0500
Would I be wasting my time on a loop antenna for 160?

It just doesn't seem right to be able to get by with so little length of wire.
What I mean is there is no surface area involved and
I don't see how it could work well without a large coverage area.

I have just read about a loop antenna for 160 while I was searching out various
(no cost) options to improve my receive setup here.

I am not using the 80 meter combo I am only looking at building one for Top
Band at this time. With just twenty feet of coax needed
and a couple of F connectors, this might be doable.

But is it a waste of time?

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/loop/coaxloop.html

This loop comes down to a box that houses a capacitor, he gives the value
(400pf) and shows the symbol of a variable cap, but
doesn't say what type cap it is.

I have no caps or boxes and cant buy *anything radio* (right now) the XYL says,
so I was wondering if I could just go to an F
connector T and come into the shack to my MFJ-949B tuner and accomplish the
same thing the capactor would do at the antenna.

Or if it is for impedance matching could I feed it with tv twin lead?

  73 fer nw,
Bob AD5VJ(AAR6VM)
http://www.ad5vj.com/

Member: CTDXCC, NTCC