Topband: The boredom continues

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: The boredom continues
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:11:00 -0700
One thing I have noticed over the past couple of years is that sometimes
the band will be open just around sunset, but as things go on into the
evening, the band goes very flat.

I often wonder if this is because the aurora oval isn't such a big issue
when it is being "blown" over the north atlantic, but when it comes
around to north america, it has a more significant impact to propagation
to Europe from here.

Last night was a repeat of the previous night.  This time, RA4LW had a
pretty decent signal (http://www.kkn.net/~tree/ra4lw2.wav).  After I
worked Vlad, I tried some CQs (since there were no other signals) and
had two Europeans calling me for several minutes.  SM5CEU finally
peaked up and we worked, but I never did get the other callsign (which
I think was a Russian - maybe RW?).  This was just after sunset.  A
couple of hours later, I did work SM5EDX.  I also heard EA3JE, but he
wasn't as strong as usual (QSX: 7033).

The band has felt very empty - with only a few signals.  I imagine the
mornings will be more lively now with the ZL8 active.

73 Tree N6TR/7
tree@kkn.net