Topband: Feeding vertical

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Feeding vertical
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 08:43:41 -0800 (PST)
Forget the hardline - unless it is really handy and you have the right fittings
, etc... I am assuming an insulated base tower... Run some RG-8 out to the
tower... Cobble up an L-match and see if it will tune...
The tower is possibly too tall to be good on 160 (you didn't say the height),
but maybe not.. Anything taller than half wave is going to have high angle
lobes...  It will be noisy on receive, try a low dipole (head high) or loop for
receive... A beverage will not work over the radials..
Let us know, we all dream of a big installation like that...  If the towers are
too tall then elevated feed/radials can be hung off the tower(s) to correct
that... Or sloping dipole using the tower as a reflector....Or a cat line
between the towers to hang a phased vertical from,etc... Fun problems to have!

denny / k8do