Re: Topband: Multiple Ground Systems

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Multiple Ground Systems
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:39:45 -0500
> Now imagine radials at 45 degrees away from the other vertical.  They are
> almost 3/32 wave long, but meet at the bus wire at a right angle.  In that
> case, a radial doesn't see an extension of itself, but rather an array of
> radials at right angles that can't carry any current in the direction
> needed.
>
> How does all this jibe with the canonical 1/2 wave broadcast radials?
>
> Rick N6RK

Rick,

Your analysis is probably appropriate for a sparse set of elevated radials,
each being a significant individual contributor to the radiated field. In
such a case, separate radials for each element -- not bonded where they
cross -- seem to be the appropriate choice for a uniform counterpoise.

I prefer to think of a radial system as an approximation of a solid sheet
rather than individual conductors. In this case, the currents will flow "as
they want to" along the surface. In reality, a significant-sized
counterpoise behaves somewhere between individual wires and a solid sheet. A
poor approximation of a sheet increases the average resistance per unit
area. I'd like mine to be closer to the solid sheet model!

73, Gary
K9AY