Topband: Matching Transformer

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Matching Transformer
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 05:27:37 -0800 (PST)
Many hams have very limited space for a radial field...
If they can only get 8 or 12 radials on the ground, then they need to read Rudy
Severn, N6LF carefully, until they understand what his research shows...

If they have less room than that, they need to read Moxon, G6XN, 'HF ANTENNAS
FOR ALL LOCATIONS', carefully... He goes through the basics of installling very
short, elevated radials, that work...  I am not going to try to give a synopsis
of his book... Those with limited space, and limited experience need to read
the book...

I will point out that decoupling the coaxial feedline is one of the keys to
success with short radials... A good choke (actually a pair of 4:1 BALUN's back
to back will do wonders... Then 0.125 wave of coax and a solenoidal choke,
willl significantly decouple the line...

denny / k8do