Re: Topband: k9ay loop

To: "David Michael Gaytko // WD4KPD" <wd4kpd@suddenlink.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: k9ay loop
From: "Cecil Acuff" <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 09:51:20 -0500
----- Original Message -----

Subject: Topband: k9ay loop

> is anyone aware of a kit for building this k9ay loop system, other than
> AS.  i just can't see
> putting out almost $400 for a relay and an xfmr  !
>
> david/wd4kpd

I built from scratch and it was a nice project.  I used an old 4 position
RS-232 computer switch enclosure to build the control box in...used three
toggle switches to create a manual operated binary encoded terminating
resistor selector.

Couple of relays and a piece of perf board in a Home Depot (Carlon) plastic
box at the antenna came out just right.  Exterior bottom of the box holds
the 5 binding posts, BNC bulkhead and barrier strip for the control cable
wiring.

There are a few sites on the web that outline how to roll you own including
the K9AY page if I remember correctly.

Mine is self supporting with a couple and a half pieces of PVC SC40
pipe....top section is stepped down to reduce it's mass.  Didn't glue any of
it so it can be disassembled during the summer months..

Give it a try...not as hard as it might seem...

Cecil Acuff
K5DL