Topband: No so Boring Report

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: No so Boring Report
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 07:45:24 -0700
The band exploded last night with signals all over the band from Europe.  It
seemed like all I had to do was QSY up a kHz and there was another station
coming through.  Nice to make a few first time QSOs on 160 with some old
friends.

I started hearing signals right away at sunrise and they hung in there for
several hours.  First QSO was OZ1CTK at 0219z and the last one was G3OLB at
0531z when I finally shut the radio off.  CX5BW had a big signal and was
working stations in both Europe and North America most of the evening working
split.  OJ0B was also working split and worked many stations in North America.

ZS1REC was heard weakly at his sunrise - but I don't think he made any QSOs.

Other stations making it in the log include: SM5EDX (who was peaking 599
later), RU3DX, OM8AW (who gave me a "boring report"), OH3XR, UY0ZG, UT3UA,
ES1GO, YL2SM, SM6CPY, HA5JI, SM4CAN, I2TAO, SM5IMO, DF2PY, SM0EJR, F5IN,
IV3PRK, F6BEE, G3JMJ and CT1FJK.  I could work most of the stations I
could hear except for one I3.

Signals were so good that my K3 was often getting solid copy on the CW.
Also, it seemed many of the "little pistol" stations were able to get
through which is always good to see.

This appeared to be a time where the K index at zero seemed to mean
something for us.  Signals were coming in direct path.  My new phased
array seems to be working very well.  SM5EDX reported 20 db front to
back when I switched directions from north to south.  CX5BW appeared
to have about the same F/B in the opposite settings.  This is two
gamma matched towers spaced 1/4 wave apart and it seems my trick for
getting the phase correct has worked.  It is receiving very well and
is being used with the K3's diversity reception with my beverage on
the second receiver.  I can't wait to use this antenna in the contests
this season.

Speaking of contests, time to get back to finishing up the Stew Perry
results.

73 Tree N6TR/7
Boring, OR