Topband: Active 4 Square Receiving Array:

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Active 4 Square Receiving Array:
From: Bruce Osterberg <n9bx@mchsi.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 08:01:59 -0500
Good Morning:

I have one of the HIZANTENNA 4 Square Systems set up here in Illinois:
Lee,K7TJR is an excellent and accurate source of information for this Array.

My Array is on an 80 Foot Square and I have made two Sets of Phasing
Cables, one for Best FTB and the other for Max RDF.  Currently trying
them both out.  My Active elements are 20' high on an insulated base,
with two 24" Ground Rods going to each element.

So far the performance has been spectacular!.  This morning I could not
even hear 3d2KJ on 1.8 with my vertical, but he was perfect copy on the
4 square, and on 80 meters it preforms just as well.  Do Not go through
the trouble of trying to Make a Passive element work, with an extensive
ground system or using chokes at the base of each element and then
trying to get all four of them tuned.

I would go with the Active elements and at least a 20' length rather
than the 109" whips that DX-Engineering sells with their System.

Bruce N9BX 73