Re: Topband: 5/16 vs 1/4 wave length inverted L

To: tzikas tzik <tzitzikas77@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 5/16 vs 1/4 wave length inverted L
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:10:41 -0400
The actual difference will vary somewhat depending on where the bend
is.  The simple one I tried had only one degree difference, 25 and 26
degrees, but the difference between the two elevations was only ONE
TENTH of a dB between the two elevations on either pattern. What this
means is that the difference will never be heard by the operator on
the other end of the QSO.

On the other hand, poor treatment of ground issues has resulted in
measured losses more than enough to swallow up the gain of a QRO amp
like it was turned off.

On 160 meters the name of the game is how to avoid direct or induced
ground losses.  Worry about wire shape when you are sure your ground
losses are factually restricted to the unavoidable in your situation.

Have a look at the sources of loss below and around your antenna.
Make a list of things you can do reduce direct or induced ground
losses.  Do those.  Run the inverted L any way you can consistent with
minimizing ground losses.  Some horizontally polarized radiation may
be useful in that situation.  Low angle vertical radiation does not do
well going through buildings.  Count those as ground losses over which
you have no control.

73, Guy.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK